Wednesday, June 10, 2020

The Phoenix:(Quqnus ققنس)): An English Translation of Majzoob’s poem:


Phoenix is a fabulous, mythical long-lived bird that cyclically regenerates or is otherwise born again. Associated with the sun, a phoenix obtains new life by arising from the ashes of its predecessor. Some legends say it dies in a show of flames and combustion, others that it simply dies and decomposes before being born again(Wikipedia). This poem of Majzoob is embedded in this myth and he says that the very foundation of his poetry and thoughts emerge from the ashes of the anguish, angst, perplexity he encounters in daily life and he asserts that the thoughts, imagination and craft of a poet and thinker are fed and nourished by problems, mysteries, enigmas, torments and anguishes he confronts in life.

The Phoenix:(Quqnus ققنس)): An English Translation of Majzoob’s poem:


Scorching my being away in your thoughts,
Obsessed by a vain urge, always trailed by it
There is a mystery, only you know the solution,
But I revel in mysteries, I don’t relish their solutions.
In these very bonfires, I craft songs,
May it never be possible! Let them be insoluble as they are!
May these sheaves of the reaped crop are never gathered,
Rather threshing them into corn, I immolate myself with them.
Smouldering inside, burning of the heart and soul is my nature,
Impelled by The Muses of my poetry, I am forced to tread only this path.
Bound by the forces of poetry’s anguish and pathos,
It is my only asset, the very faith and world of mine.
Set ablaze, like Phoenix, by the very fervour inside me,
Gutted to ashes, out of these very ashes, I get new birth!

(Translated into English by Aslam Mir on 10.6.2020)
( For the image of Pashtu Text of The Poem I am thankful to FB group MAJZOB,run by Zahid Amin of Serai Naurang)







2 comments:

  1. Outstanding sir! you've really worked hard to produce these gems. More power to you!

    ReplyDelete