Monday, May 18, 2020

The Alchemy of Love- Love turning copper into gold:

Saadi,Hamza Baba and Rahman Baba: The other day I posted the following couplet of Saadi(1210-1292) from one of his Ghazals at my facebook group Persian Class Peshawar with annotations and English and Urdu Translations, some forum members chimed in with beautiful relevant couplets of some other poets of Pashtu:The relevant couplets are given(with my English Translations) after the Saadi,s couplet and its explanation:
گویند روی سرخ تو سعدی چه زرد کرد
اکسیر عشق بر مسم افتاد و زر شدم
وہ کہتے ہیں ( وہ پوچھتے ہیں ) سعدی! کس چیز نے تیرے سرخ چہرے کو زرد کردیا ؟
( میں جواب دیتا ہوں )' عشق (کی کیمیا) کا اکسیر میرے مس (تانبے ) پر پڑگیا اور میں سونا بن گیا
They ask/they say,' What has turned your red face into a pale one O, Saadi?
( I reply)" The elixir of (the alchemy) of love befell my copper and turned it into GOLD
١: گویند : وہ کہتے ہیں ، وہ پوچھتے ہیںThey say,They ask ،٢:مِس:ایک معدنی جوہر کا نام جس کے برتن وغیرہ بنائے جاتے ہیں ، تانبا copper، مسم :میرا مس-مجھ جیسے مس My copper -٣:: افتاد : گر گیا ،پڑ گیا -٤: شدم : میں بن گیا - میں ہوگیا Was put, touched, befell, ( Translations: Aslam Mir)

Our valued forum member Hamyun Masood sb interjected with a beautiful couplet of Pashtu poet Hamza Baba(1907-1994):
اغيار مې رنګ ته ګوري، زېړ او سور، او شين او تور
دا چارې تل په ما کوې رنګرېزې سترګې ستا حمزہ بابا
( My rivals(in love) always peer ( and sneer) at my countenance, which intermittently changes into pale and red, and again into blue and black,, always play this sort of havoc with me your dyer/artist like `eyes ( Paraphrased into English by Aslam mir)
Another valued member MOhammad Ayub chipped in with this couplet of Rahmam Baba(1653-1706) which has amazing resemblance to above-cited couplet of Saadi:
چے ئے زٙر کو زیڑ رخسار زما دٙ خاورو عاشقی نہ شوہ پہ باب زما کیمیا شوہ
(Turning my pale dusty cheeks into gold, my love has become an alchemy for me.)

2 comments: